[arch-general] Mime backup program

Squall Lionheart headmastersquall at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 11:41:35 EDT 2012

> 1. A better name would be a great idea.  When I saw “mime backup
> program”, I immediately thought of mimetypes, when I shouldn’t.

This has been my biggest fear and I have always felt uncomfortable with the
name because of that.  Unfortunately, I have been trying to come up with
something better since I started writing this program and can't seem to
come up with anything that fits.  I'll give it another go since this is a
big deal.

> 2. lsmime doesn’t use -- in front of arguments, although mime does.  See
(5).

This came about because I wanted lsmime to use more of an svn or "human"
like syntax that is much easier to read and remember.  Both programs used
to use the - or -- syntax, but it made lsmime very confusing and required
constant references to -h.

Old
lsmime -r -id 5 rc.conf

New
lsmime restore rc.conf from backup 5

> 3. Mind switching to version control systems and to GitHub?  It’s much
> nicer and a billion times easier for people to contribute.

I'm currently using google code and they have a source control option, I'll
set that up after a rename.

> 4. PyPI — http://wiki.python.org/moin/CheeseShopTutorial
> 5. argparse should be used instead of your methods of parsing
> arguments.  It’s much cleaner and easier.
> 6. Use setuptools (distribute) instead of distutils.
> 7. Compliance with PEP 8 is a good idea.  Package “pep8” from the AUR
> should help you.

Thank you for the great resources, I will definitely take the time to make
these changes.

> 8. If you want to have more users, rewrite it in python2.

Both programs are fully compatible with versions 2.6, 2.7 and 3.x

http://kennethreitz.com/repository-structure-and-python.html
> and other stuff would be great to see.

I have unit tests, I just didn't distribute them.  I know I should and will
in the future.

Your information and feedback is greatly appreciated.  Seems like once you
think you know enough, you learn their is a whole new world to explore.

Thank you
Squall

--
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.

Headmaster Squall :: The Wired/Section-9
Close the world  txen eht nepo
$3R14L 3XP3R1M3NT$ #L41N
http://twitter.com/headmastersqual