[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] syslinux 4.05-5 does not boot

Jonathan eyeswide at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 11:12:34 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 8:46 PM, Ionut Biru <ibiru at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 08/09/2012 01:55 AM, Myra Nelson wrote:

>>> headers.

>>> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable.
>>
>> Incidentally it also causes ext2 /boot to be unbootable, without a
>> doubt it does.
>>
>> Dave's install scripts work great easiest install I've ever done,
>> however it won't boot off of ext2 with syslinux.
>>

> Why do you want ext2 on /boot? All bootloaders support ext3/4 this days.
>
>> Myra
>>

> --
> Ionuț

In the past I have seen ext2 saves time during boot vs ext3.Having a
journal is no use since the files are rarely changed and the
filesystem is mostly opened read only. The journal takes up some
space. These may matter to you if you are trying to optimize boot
times or disk usage.

to see journal size:
device=/dev/sda7; debugfs -R "stat <$(tune2fs -l $device | awk
'/Journal.inode/ {print $3}')>" $device |& awk '/Size: / {print $6}' |
head -1; unset device

John