[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Sat Aug 11 03:56:49 EDT 2012

On 10/08/12 23:38, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Fri, 10 Aug 2012 16:33:39 -0400
> schrieb Brandon Watkins <bwat47 at gmail.com>:
>
>> Systemd and pulseaudio are completely different pieces of software
>> with different purposes. Comparing them like that just because of the
>> author is comparing apples to oranges.
>
> Sorry, it is not. I see that PA is totally not complete and doesn't
> support at least half of the professional use cases. And I see that it's
> the same with systemd. So what's the difference?
>
> They are both developed by the same person who seemingly doesn't have
> much knowledge about professional computer usage and only cares about
> some desktop users.
>
> With PA it's currently not such a problem since I don't need to use a
> distro or a desktop environment which forces me to install PA.
>
> With systemd it's worse since the init system is a very serious and
> important piece of the system. And if this doesn't support every
> professional use case and isn't proved to be really reliable, it just
> shouldn't be made to a de facto standard.
>
> And if I can't trust PA how can I trust an even more important piece of
> software written by the same person?
>
> Btw., look at systemd-cryptsetup. Yes, meanwhile my use case is filed
> upstream and allegedly and hopefully fixed. But it shows that at least
> one use case was just forgotten or in other words it was not well
> enough thought out. The latter is the biggest problem.
>
> Like I said before, some of Lennart's ideas may, say, seem to be quite
> interesting, and maybe sysvinit is also not the perfect init system.
> But Lennart's software is just not implemented good enough.
>
> If somebody doesn't care about the professional users when writing on
> software, would he really care about the professional users when
> writing the other software?

Sure soon RHEL will switch to systemd with RHEL 7, so the systemd market
share will probably continue to grow. Also SUSE seems to switch to
systemd. With these major distro's taking up systemd, it's almost
impossible that it's not implemented good enough.

p.s. it's a bit lame to just blame Poettering since for everything he
just iirc the maintainer of systemd. Since there are much more people
behind systemd ( Kay sievers, etc. )