[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sat Aug 11 08:03:14 EDT 2012

Am Sat, 11 Aug 2012 03:02:03 +0200
schrieb Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no>:

> Issues, serious or otherwise, belong in the bug-tracker. We have
> surprisingly few systemd/pulseaudio bugs open, considering all the
> noise they create on the ML.

Is it really that hard to respect other people's opinions and wishes?
Is it really that hard?

> Sorry, I didn't realise you were being serious. Of course you
> shouldn't delete them. If you don't use systemd they have no effect,
> and take hardly no space.

But they take space on my harddisk. And even TB harddisks can get full
some day. And not everybody is able to afford a new one at once.

And I just don't want this systemd stuff on my harddisk.

But, hey, it's really hard to respect other people's opinions and
wishes. I understand. If other people don't want to have anything to do
with a certain software then this software has to be forced onto them
because the maintainer is a fanboy of this software and can't respect
other people's opinions due to his rose-colored glasses.

> I don't force anyone to do anything. If you see flaws in anything I
> do, then provide review, patches or bug reports. If you don't like the
> direction I'm taking initscripts in, then fork it and provide your
> competing version.

You do force every Arch Linux user to install that systemd stuff. Why
else do I have systemd-tools installed on my harddisk? Why else do I
have all this systemd stuff in /usr/lib/systemd/system? Why else do I
have even this directory /usr/lib/systemd on my harddisk? I tell you,
because you force it on me. I never have installed this on my own.

> To be clear: it has always been my plan to make initscripts and
> systemd as close to each other as possible and share as much code as
> possible. I strongly believe this is the right thing to do. If you
> disagree, then I think your time is better spent at coding a
> replacement rather than at whining.

I don't know what you didn't get. I have already coded the cryptsetup
part of initscripts which still works, which works better than this
systemd-cryptsetup thing, and which you want to replace by some
untrustworthy, and at least incomplete systemd stuff.

And, yes, I totally disagree that your plan to make initscripts and
systemd as close to each other as possible are good. And I'm not the
only one as you should know meanwhile. This, too, is forcing systemd on
everbody.

Initscripts worked before and would still do this. If you are a systemd
fanboy then provide and support systemd optional, but leave initscripts
alone and revert it to what it was, before you made all those systemd
changes.

But, yes, I forgot again, other people's opinions and wishes are dull
and all those people don't know anything and have no clue what they are
talking about. All those people on the whole wide web. And you are the
wisdom in person.

Are you really sure that you know what you are talking about? Are you
really sure that you know what you are doing with initscripts?

And, btw., I would also be interested in some opinions of the other
devs and TUs about your activities in forcing this systemd stuff on
everybody. You are the only dev who is permanently talking about this
and hyping systemd, and meanwhile I know that you are a systemd fanboy.
What about the other devs? Have your plans with all their pros and cons
and the users' opinions and wishes been discussed before with the other
devs? Or are you doing this all on your own? Meanwhile I have the
opinion that it's the latter one.

And still no word about the other tools which work on top of sysvinit
which have recently be mentioned by someone else here on this mailing
list. Only this systemd fanboy jabbering.

Heiko