[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Joakim Hernberg jbh at alchemy.lu
Sat Aug 11 11:51:44 EDT 2012

On Sat, 11 Aug 2012 15:30:09 +0200
Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:

> This is a misrepresentation. Udev and systemd were merged I think
> mainly because they "belong together", but also because they had
> cyclic build dependencies as they are very tightly integrated. It is
> not the case that systemd swallows anything it shares code with, in
> fact some stuff is being pushed into util-linux away from systemd.

I keep seeing this "quote" on the net, is it not accurate?

"Sievers explained that it will still be possible to install udev
independently of systemd. He added that this option will be supported
in the long term because separate builds are required to ensure that
initrds (initial ramdisks), which don't include systemd, work
correctly. Distributions that don't use systemd can continue to build
udev as before, but will have to use the systemd sources."

---

   Joakim