[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Aug 11 12:19:26 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM, Joakim Hernberg <jbh at alchemy.lu> wrote:
> "Sievers explained that it will still be possible to install udev
> independently of systemd. He added that this option will be supported
> in the long term because separate builds are required to ensure that
> initrds (initial ramdisks), which don't include systemd, work
> correctly. Distributions that don't use systemd can continue to build
> udev as before, but will have to use the systemd sources."

I assume this is taken from [0]. What is and will be supported is to
install udev without systemd. Building udev without also building
systemd is not supported though (that was the point of the merge).

So if people want only udev they'd need to build all of systemd, and
pick out the bits they want (have a look at our systemd-tools package
for an example of how this can be done[1]).

-t

[0]: <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.hotplug.devel/17392>
[1]: <https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/packages.git/tree/trunk/PKGBUILD?h=packages/systemd#n142>