[arch-general] OT: [arch-dev-public] polkit package upgrade patch

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 04:41:24 EDT 2012

On 12 August 2012 02:47, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 12, 2012 at 2:05 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> This is completely sick. Any audio engineer trying to
>> use a mixer that way would (and should) be fired for
>> gross incompetence - immediately.
>
> Argument by authority, nice. Care to elaborate? (Sorry to anyone who
> is sick of PA, but for once I'm seeing the chance to learn something
> from one of these threads ;-)).
>
> If the problem is too complex to explain in layman terms, that's
> understandable. However, is the problem one that would be unacceptable
> in a professional setting (e.g. a recording studio, ...) as it would
> cause subtle issues. Or is it a problem that I should be able to
> observe on my crappy speakers at home? If so, what am I listening for?
> How would I go about reproducing it?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Tom

One of my friends is an amateur musician. He told me about some
problems that makes PA unusable for his work. First, it is having
unpredictable latencies and size of buffers. And the second one was
similar to the question – it was having one master channels instead of
many mixers provided by card. I don't remember the exact reasons why
it was bad though. I think it has something to do with small changes
in the audio signal that may be raised by the connected equipment.

Lukas