[arch-general] What can be deleted, when not using systemd - was: polkit package upgrade patch

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Aug 12 19:52:02 EDT 2012

On Mon, 2012-08-13 at 01:17 +0200, Joakim Hernberg wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:05:25 +0200
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
>
> > Until now even this isn't an issue, since AFAIK only GNOME for Arch
> > insists on pulseaudio. But this might change. People for good reasons
> > chose some distro.
>
> I think if Gnome has a hard dependency on PA, there isn't anything Arch
> can do about it...  Patching upstream sources isn't the Archway...
> Otherwise it ought to be an optdepend, but making it optional it it's
> needed by a package would probably be a bad idea...
>
> Seems to me that either you need to stop using Gnome, or write the
> needed patches to make PA optional.  I guess a 3:rd option would be to
> fix what is broken in PA...:)
>
> Let's hope Arch stays the way it was, where more or less everything is
> optional and you can design your own system exactly as you want it!

When GNOME2 switched to 3 I stopped using GNOME. Hats off! Somebody
maintained https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=48718 for a long
time!

Btw. I suspect that I benefit of systemd side effects. Could it be that
now, each time a new kernel or kernel-rt is installed, the vbox modules
are build, regarding to a side effect of systemd? Or has this nothing to
do with systemd?

I wish to be allowed to be a dummy using Linux. If I would like to be an
expert, I could chose any other obscure OS. Linux shouldn't become
non-transparent, even not for noobs.

At the moment pulseaudio seems no issue for any distro, as long as we
avoid to use GNOME or GDM. For systemd it might be different, perhaps
there aren't issues, but without systemd there aren't issues for me.
So, if I read systemd is from Mr. X, as pulseaudio is too, I'm
horrified.

Getting rid of PA is easy, once you know what to do, but it also was
easy to get PA (like a disease) without a warning, just by upgrading
GNOME for one and the other distro. It's no fun, when that happens at
the most bad possible moment.

I don't want my Linux PC become as faulty as my iThingy.