[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Jayesh Badwaik jayesh.badwaik90 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 06:20:16 EDT 2012

Hi,

Another flame may start here, but I would like to present the following
as a pure news, no opinions[1].

Of course, after reading all the discussions on the mailing lists, my
feeling after reading the link? Mwuhahahaha.

Important quotes from the link ( which I hope do not alter the context
of the post):

"Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside of
systemd. But that's about it. We will not polish that, or add new
features to that or anything.

OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd however,
and that's our primary focus.

And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform integration
into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for non-systemd systems.

(Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
that support entirely.)"

--
Cheers and Regards
Jayesh Badwaik