[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

gt static.vortex at gmx.com
Mon Aug 13 09:41:38 EDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 03:50:16PM +0530, Jayesh Badwaik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Another flame may start here, but I would like to present the following
> as a pure news, no opinions[1].
>
> Of course, after reading all the discussions on the mailing lists, my
> feeling after reading the link? Mwuhahahaha.
>
> Important quotes from the link ( which I hope do not alter the context
> of the post):
>
> "Well, we intent to continue to make it possible to run udevd outside of
> systemd. But that's about it. We will not polish that, or add new
> features to that or anything.
>
> OTOH we do polish behaviour of udev when used *within* systemd however,
> and that's our primary focus.
>
> And what we will certainly not do is compromise the uniform integration
> into systemd for some cosmetic improvements for non-systemd systems.
>
> (Yes, udev on non-systemd systems is in our eyes a dead end, in case you
> haven't noticed it yet. I am looking forward to the day when we can drop
> that support entirely.)"
>
> [1] http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2012-
> August/006066.html

Lennart Poettering wants to control GNU/Linux, period. And, he has been
quite effective in furthering his goals through his "great" ideas.

I see that linus torvalds will have competition pretty soon on who gets
to be the overlord. Or maybe they can coexist, one in kernel land and
the other in userspace land ;)