[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 09:47:53 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 14 Aug 2012 09:08:36 Baho Utot wrote:
> I don't understand your point....
>
> What is so wrong with the booting using sysvinit?
>
> I really don't need what systemd offers and sysvinit does everything I
> need and has not failed me.

There's nothing inherently wrong with it, just like there was nothing
inherently wrong with pen and paper before computers came along.  Many people
would argue that pen and paper does everything they need, but that doesn't
change the fact that most people find computers more flexible.  Those wanting to
stick to pen and paper find themselves increasingly frustrated that they can't
get by without a computer.  It's not that they're not *entitled* to their
opinion, it's just that everyone else has moved on.  It's not a conspiracy;
things simply change.  Maybe you don't see the advantage, but other people do.

> So is your point that I need to move to systemd because the developers
> tell me I must?

My point is that you need to move to systemd because if you don't, you'll be
using a system that noone is willing to maintain.

> As for systemd being better solution for the problem of booting the
> beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I just don't see it, so why
> take away sysvint?

Sysvinit will not be taken away.  However, as is the way of software, if
sysvinit is not actively maintained, it will simply stop working in a matter
of years.

> You can use systemd and I should be able to use what works for me and
> not be forced down the systemd path.

Unwanted change is not nice.  In fact, I haven't switched to systemd yet
because I'm worried about the switch (even though I've heard it's pretty
easy), and sysvinit works OK for me right now.  However, I'm also interested
in discovering what all this new stuff is that everyone promises systemd can
deliver, so I'm happy with the idea that I'll switch at some point.

> Isn't this what open source software freedom is all about or did I miss
> something....I have use linux from the redhat 5.2 (no I am not talking
> the enterprise version) days.

No, open source software is not about giving you whatever software you want.
It's about producing whatever software you want, and letting anyone use it.
If you're willing to maintain Sysvinit, you're absolutely free to do that.  It
may well be that someone *will* be willing to do that when the time comes.  In
the meantime, I'm afraid your only choice is to use the software that is
maintained.

Paul