[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Tue Aug 14 09:49:00 EDT 2012

On 08/14/2012 09:25 AM, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> On Tuesday 14 Aug 2012 09:12:30 Baho Utot wrote:
>> I think Arch was good back in the day.
>>
>> Now not so good.
> This sounds a bit inflammatory and over-generalised.  Presumably what you don't
> like about Arch now is the fact that it will potentially change its default
> init system sometime in the not-too-distant future?  I'd be interested to hear
> if there's anything else that has made you switch.

I have not liked what  arch has turned into for some time now, approx
2-3 years.
It is not meant as "This sounds a bit inflammatory and
over-generalised"  arch just doesn't fit my needs now and I don't care
for the direction...That's all.
I starting switching well before this systemd  the change started.

>> I have stopped using arch except for one server that does mail and DNS.
>> It is presently being moved to "my own linux distro" based on LFS and
>> using pacman for the package manager.
> I'm genuinely curious about this: if you're using pacman as the package
> manager, are you building your own packages and hosting your own package
> repository, or are you using the standard Arch repositories?  If it's the
> latter, it sounds like you'd end up with an Arch system that happened to be
> bootstrapped using LFS...
>
> Paul

I started by using arch PKGBUILDS but that did not give me what I needed
or wanted, so....

I host my own repo on my own network.
I build my own packages, creating my own PKGBUILDS  using nothing from
arch but based on LFS.
I will not end up with an arch system boot strapped by LFS but a scratch
built system base on my needs.
It is very different from the file system directory structure up with
sysvinit init system.

The process that I used was to take LFS-6.8 and create a build system
(scripts) that follow the book but using the pacman package manager.
I will update this to LFS-7.2 after it becomes available in Sept. After
words I will use BLFS to create a desktop system and serves packages.