[arch-general] Lennart Poettering on udev-systemd

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Aug 14 10:44:56 EDT 2012

On Tue, 2012-08-14 at 16:23 +0200, Jelle van der Waa wrote:
> On 08/14/12 16:06, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> >> Cool, so once you're set up with systemd, you should find it easier to work
> >> with.  As for change, I'm afraid that's inevitable in ArchLinux, because it's
> >> intended to be a cutting-edge distro.  If you don't like the change, you
> >> really need to consider switching to something less hands-on.  I hear that
> >> OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is a viable rolling-release option.  And I think Mint
> >> Debian Edition is also rolling-release?
> >>
> >> Paul
> >
> > I'm from Germany, so I started with Suse and I still have an outdated
> > Suse installed. Suse doesn't fit to my needs. I tested Mint and Mint
> > doesn't fit to my needs. Arch did and still does fit to my needs. I just
> > fear that soon Arch won't fit to my needs. I'm not objective, I just
> > care about my needs. This is selfish, I'm aware of this. However, why
> > shouldn't I take care of my needs? I also work on a voluntary basis. I
> > fight for the rights of others, but I also fight for satisfying my
> > needs. That's all.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ralf
> >

> Then maintain/improve the current initscripts...

I don't have the ability to do this. I don't have time to learn this,
since I work on a voluntary basis in other areas. And who knows, even if
I would have the time to learn, perhaps I'm not able to do it.

So again, is "self-responsibility" = "spend all your live time with
setting up Linux only"? Isn't the philosophy of a community that people
have different abilities and that they take care of each other?

Regards,
Ralf