[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Calvin Morrison mutantturkey at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 11:55:28 EDT 2012

On 14 August 2012 10:57, Stéphane Gaudreault <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Systemd has a overall better design than SysV, lots of useful administrative
> features and provide quicker boot up. Considering that it has been around in
> our repositories for some time and that it could be considered stable enough
> for production use, I would suggest to replace iniscript by systemd once the
> 'Missing systemd units' is over. Thus we will avoid duplicating our efforts
> on two init systems.
>
> Any objections to start the migration process ?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Stéphane

I'd love to see the overall advantages and disadvantages of each of
those fleshed out on a page where I can read them - I know I can't
order anyone to do it, and my comment doesn't effect the outcome, but
I would really like to see a good explanation of the advantages in an
unbiased (aka not by LP) explanation  of why it is better for arch. Is
systemd suckless? is it easy to maintain? is it going to around for
several years? have we considered Upstart? what about OpenRC?

before Arch jump ship, I would love to see some good details. I have
been trying to keep up Tom's posts on the general, so maybe I should
revisit them.

Calvin