[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Wed Aug 15 11:11:21 EDT 2012

Am 15.08.2012 16:47, schrieb Kevin Chadwick:
>> I already found another feature in
>> systemd that people always wanted for initscripts, but was too hard to
>> implement,
>
> After posting so much pointless and wrong text aside from systemd can
> do some things a little quicker which we all know. Why haven't you told
> us this feature which would be worth posting.

So, with initscripts, we mount all the API file systems manually. When
you put them in fstab as well, things fail. But when you want special
options for those file systems, you won't get them.

This very short systemd snippet showed that systemd is capable of
parsing fstab and remounting the API file systems such that all your
options are respected.

We tried this with initscripts before, and we couldn't make it work, as
it was too complicated with shell scripts.

> Despite the FUD
> lennart has made about systemd being required in the future, that
> simply isn't going to happen.

He didn't even say that. He said that he is not willing to spend his
time making sure that future udev versions will work without systemd.

I'm really tired of this discussion, so I deleted all my answer to the
rest of your post.