[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 13:27:55 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Stéphane Gaudreault
> <stephane at archlinux.org> wrote:
>> (1) and (2) could be done after the missing unit files rebuild is over. They
>> should probably be announced at the same time as I expect that some users
>> will prefer a fresh install instead of "upgrading".
>> (3) Maybe this could be done in preparation of the gnome 3.6.0 release
>> scheduled at the end of September.
>
> That would be nice, if we are ready by then. Let's see what sorts of
> problems crop up and how fast we are at adding service files.
>
>> (4) There is no rush to do that, but users need to know that it _will_
>> happen.
>
> I think the important point is that (3) will happen. I.e., that
> "fancy" stuff will certainly stop working without systemd at some
> point (soon). The eventual fate of initscripts we could get back to
> (no promises made in either direction). Though, we should make it very
> clear that people _should_ prepare for its eventual demise. By that I
> mean, have a look at systemd at some point, and if it does not work
> for you, report a bug so it can be fixed in good time before
> initscripts is dropped.

You expect too much from users. *Some* will prepare, most will not. If
systemd has problems, you are certainly going to hear users
complaining (and loudly). You can already see obvious problems in
arch-general, when only a fraction of users are testing systemd, so
chances are this going to happen when most are forced/guided to
switch.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras