[arch-general] Arch-general is becoming a mess !

Dennis Herbrich dennis at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 16 02:10:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 12:53:02AM -0400, Jeremiah Dodds wrote:
> As far as ML noise goes, that's what killfiles and client-side filters
> are for, no? People can (or at least should be able to) configure their
> mailreaders to mute people or topics they want to mute.

This. This so very much.

We're all consenting adults here. Just hit that delete button, ESC-d, Del or
adjust your scorefile/junk filter, and enjoy a quiet evening in your very own
bubble of comfortable reality without dissenting opinions! ;)

Seriously, the list isn't a *mess*. It's very carefully structured flaming,
even sticking to the topic! Heck, it HAS a topic! You'd *love* to have that
back once the professional trolls arrive and post ALL OVER THE LIST with
anonymous addresses, proxied IPs with new subjects all the time and broken
Reply-To headers, making selective filtering nearly impossible for the
uninitiated.

Please keep in mind that just deleting a post that aggravates you is very, very
easily done, even more so if a whole thread is basically derailed and doesn't
deserve attention. Instead of asking for moderation, just continue posting
worthwile stuff yourself, improving the signal instead of reducing the noise,
so to speak. And remember to not feed the trolls. Life goes on.

Yeah, that's one smart-ass long-term lurker talking here about improving signal
quality with a useless meta-post. :P

I, for one, will surely stay subscribed, and would advise against a knee-jerk
moderation implementation. The "old man" forwarding is already happening
informally in a way, too, with topics started here being picked up in arch-dev.

Have a nice day, everyone!
  Dennis

--
"Den Rechtsstaat macht aus, dass Unschuldige wieder frei kommen."
  Dr. Wolfgang Schäuble, Bundesinnenminister (14.10.08, TAZ-Interview)

0D21BE6C - F3DC D064 BB88 5162 56BE  730F 5471 3881 0D21 BE6C