[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:08:51 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 16 August 2012 01:21, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So, if you *already* know that there are problems, why not wait?
>> What's wrong with waiting another year, and see if you don't see so
>> many problems then? What's the hurry to break people's systems?
>
> Felipe, we've been doing that all along. This _is_ in the process of
> 'another year', and we there was never any hurry. We have had a TODO
> list for the unit files for some time, and now we have made it a
> priority to complete it. In the meantime, we expect bugs will be
> reported from testers, and they will be fixed. I think you have
> misunderstood the situation; nobody's making any kind of 'move'
> tomorrow.

So if this is the 'another year' does that mean this *must* go in this
year? No. If systemd is still not ready, why force it? Wait another
year. And if the next year it's still not ready, then the next one.

Why break systems *now*? Clearly there are problems with systemd (I
see a lot of them in arch-general).

Even if you were not seeing problems now, you should expect problems
when deploying (as the machines affected would be many more). So if
you are seeing problems *now*, that's a good sign that you shouldn't
go forward, even if you manage to fix all the currently known
problems.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras