[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Migration to systemd

Brandon Watkins bwat47 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 09:43:49 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 9:08 AM, Felipe Contreras <
felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 8:18 PM, Rashif Ray Rahman <schiv at archlinux.org>
> wrote:
> > On 16 August 2012 01:21, Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> So, if you *already* know that there are problems, why not wait?
> >> What's wrong with waiting another year, and see if you don't see so
> >> many problems then? What's the hurry to break people's systems?
> >
> > Felipe, we've been doing that all along. This _is_ in the process of
> > 'another year', and we there was never any hurry. We have had a TODO
> > list for the unit files for some time, and now we have made it a
> > priority to complete it. In the meantime, we expect bugs will be
> > reported from testers, and they will be fixed. I think you have
> > misunderstood the situation; nobody's making any kind of 'move'
> > tomorrow.
>
> So if this is the 'another year' does that mean this *must* go in this
> year? No. If systemd is still not ready, why force it? Wait another
> year. And if the next year it's still not ready, then the next one.
>
> Why break systems *now*? Clearly there are problems with systemd (I
> see a lot of them in arch-general).
>
> Even if you were not seeing problems now, you should expect problems
> when deploying (as the machines affected would be many more). So if
> you are seeing problems *now*, that's a good sign that you shouldn't
> go forward, even if you manage to fix all the currently known
> problems.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

A big switch like this will have problems regardless of when you do it. Its
best to do it soon and get the teething issues over with. For most people
systemd seems to work fine and is production ready (also evidenced by the
fact that some other major distros have already made the switch some time
ago).

of course you will see people posting to the mailing list/bbs/irc with
systemd issues, because *those are the places people go for help*. People
post about issues with sysvinit/initscripts too. "I saw some a few people
post with issues with systemd on the mailing list" is hardly a valid metric
of whether its production ready or not.  Systemd has already undergone a
fair amount of testing in arch, many people were using it when it was in
the aur, and many more when it made it to the repos. The experience has
already smoothed out significantly. Teething issues will happen and will be
dealt with.