[arch-general] Arch-general is becoming a mess !

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Thu Aug 16 11:08:53 EDT 2012

Am 16.08.2012 16:57, schrieb Heiko Baums:
> Am Thu, 16 Aug 2012 14:22:58 +0200
> schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:
>
>> So you're saying that instead of fixing the problem, every user should
>> remove the offending posts.
>>
>> The problem here are a small handful of people who start flames and
>> spread FUD. Banning a handful of people from the list is an easier
>> solution IMO. I am generally against such measures, but it seems we
>> will have no choice.
>
> And how do you decide whom to ban? Just because his opinion differs
> from yours? No personal offend. But there are or have been quite a lot
> of people here - I would even say, most of the people who are currently
> screaming the loudest - who are calling other people troll, while being
> trolls themselves, and shout for banning those people just because
> those people have different opinions and they can't bear other opinions.

I am not planning to start banning people, at least I don't want to. I
am simply stating that it is an option that will be considered and that
client-side filtering is not an acceptable solution.

I am hoping that the threat of being banned will make people shut up for
a day and calm down, then continue discussing normally and calmly.

> And I think
> everybody has a right to say his opinion, even if he doesn't have a
> detailed, technical "proof" of his opinion.

This is a technical mailing list. If you want to discuss technical
topics about Arch, you're in the right place. If you want to state your
_opinion_, get yourself a blog.