[arch-general] Think twice before moving to systemd

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:54:36 EDT 2012

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM, John K Pate <j.k.pate at sms.ed.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2012 15:16:31 +0200
> Felipe Contreras <felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 7:58 PM, Denis A. Altoé Falqueto
>> <denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > This is so stupid that it's not even funny. You said that the problem
>> > was having CONFIG_HZ=300 and systemd. I said it is not, because I also
>> > have that situation and it works. So, your point is moot. I didn't say
>> > you don't have a problem, but just that it may be not related to
>> > CONFIG_HZ. I even sent you an article with ways on how to inspect the
>> > behaviour of systemd, which was completely ignored.
>>
>> My problem with CONFIG_HZ exists
>> independently of whether you experience the problem yourself or not.
>
> But it suggests that the problem is not *just* systemd and
> CONFIG_HZ=300. I am, and many others are, running systemd with
> CONFIG_HZ=300 fine.

Show me two bootcharts, one with CONFIG_HZ_300=y, and another with
CONFIG_HZ_1000=y. Then I will believe that you are running systemd
fine. The other possibility is that you are just not noticing the
problem.

> If you encountered a problem, there must be some
> other underlying cause. A constructive response would work towards
> finding and addressing the other underlying cause.

A logical reason would be that systemd is too sensitive on signals
arriving fast, and if that's the case it's quite likely that there is
no easy solution (if any).

But anyway, my objective is not to improve systemd (I might have tried
that if Lennart wasn't such an asshole), my objective is to show that
systemd has problems, and CONFIG_HZ_300=y is just an example... there
are other issues popping in arch-general that render the system
unbootable.

Perhaps in the future I will have time to investigate the issue, and
make a proper bug report, and systemd would work properly for me, and
most Arch Linux users, but I believe that's not the case *currently*.

So I believe the logical course of action is to delay the migration
until systemd is more robust.

All I want is to minimize the issues that Arch Linux users hit, but
unfortunately so far it seems Arch Linux developers don't care about
how many problems could this move cause.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras