[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 03:37:35 EDT 2012

On 2012/8/17 Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Nicholas MIller <nick.kyky at gmail.com>wrote:
>> That seems to be one of the more well thought out (not pro), responces to
>> systemd,
>>

> Thank you. My intent was to start an intelligent discussion. The rants and
> raves are going no where. I'm not necessarily against systemd, just the
> PTB's upstream dictating how Linux is and can be used. To me Linux is about
> choice, unlike the OS I used for so many years. My other goal is to get the
> devs involved to think about how to help the Arch community in general. If
> Arch is what you make of it, don't take that choice away.

The tools dictate how to use the system. Archlinux has never dictated
which tools to use, and the "move to systemd" is not more a dictation
about which tool to use than anything before. Arch is still what you
make of it, some tools just don't have alternatives and you are
welcome to develop one of them to help that choice.

Nobody is "removing an alternative" here, it's just cleaning up the
dead, the community is free to revive them.
I don't see how this discussion is different from the other ones. Most
of the discussions are based on the assumption that we currently have
working boot scripts in bash. This one is too.

Rémy.