[arch-general] Arch Linux and systemd

Myra Nelson myra.nelson at hughes.net
Sun Aug 19 13:41:44 EDT 2012

On Sat, Aug 18, 2012 at 2:37 AM, Rémy Oudompheng
<remyoudompheng at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2012/8/17 Myra Nelson <myra.nelson at hughes.net> wrote:
> > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:34 PM, Nicholas MIller <nick.kyky at gmail.com
> >wrote:
> >> That seems to be one of the more well thought out (not pro), responces
> >> systemd,
> >>

> > Thank you. My intent was to start an intelligent discussion. The rants
> and
> > raves are going no where. I'm not necessarily against systemd, just the
> > PTB's upstream dictating how Linux is and can be used. To me Linux is
> about
> > choice, unlike the OS I used for so many years. My other goal is to get
> the
> > devs involved to think about how to help the Arch community in general.
> If
> > Arch is what you make of it, don't take that choice away.
>
> The tools dictate how to use the system. Archlinux has never dictated
> which tools to use, and the "move to systemd" is not more a dictation
> about which tool to use than anything before. Arch is still what you
> make of it, some tools just don't have alternatives and you are
> welcome to develop one of them to help that choice.
>
> Nobody is "removing an alternative" here, it's just cleaning up the
> dead, the community is free to revive them.
> I don't see how this discussion is different from the other ones. Most
> of the discussions are based on the assumption that we currently have
> working boot scripts in bash. This one is too.
>
> Rémy.

Remy:

Culling the herd never hurts and I'm not a firm believer that the current
bash scripts are perfect. My goal was to entice a lower tone, more
rational, not have to sort through all the bull shit conversations. As I
pointed out somewhere earlier, my brain doesn't process information the
same way most do and I get bore quickly sorting through the other posts for
real information. Hard data is true information, information equals power,
and distilled information is the best there is, but trying to sort through
the rants and raves it completely beyond me.

I have to map things out like logic gates:

If xyz then
     blah blah
else if jkl
    etc
end if

In other words, why oop still eludes me to this day. There are certain
transtions in my transitors that are broken and I need intelligent
wend my way through things.

Sorry if I seemed to have caused offending and extra noise.

Myra