[arch-general] SystemD poll

Kevin Chadwick ma1l1ists at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Aug 19 13:18:31 EDT 2012

>>> Remember it's not about whether or not you're allowed to use
>>> initscripts/systemd, it's about what will become the default.

>> No, maintaining both boot methods, even if upstream weren't
>> abandoning init scripts (which they are going to) would be
>> a terrible waste of time.

What upstream are you actually talking about here considering the vast
majority of Users unix-like systems are still planning
on using /sbin/init and absolutely, immediately and intuitively
controllable shell with comments.

> ... and upstream has stated that while its not worthwhile to actually share
> code, they are supportive (and encouraging) common
> interfaces/formats/protocols for startup tasks (such as DBUS interfaces and
> whatnot for setting hostname, etc) so implementations on other platforms --
> eg. the BSDs -- could support applications designed for systemd.

What's the benefit of using dbus over reading a file. Seems convoluted
to me and I am gad that I can't see OpenBSD using dbus for such a simple
task especially considering the criticism that dbus is already far too
overused. In fact I can't ever see dbus making into the audited base.

universal interface'

(Doug McIlroy)