[arch-general] SystemD poll

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 20:47:42 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Felipe Contreras
<felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Patrick Murphy <thegerdur at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Could you give me a brief explanation as to why init scripts are better?
>> I'm newish to Unix style operating systems
>
> As I said; they are tried-and-true since *decades*, all the problems
> have been ironed out by slow small changes, so if somebody has
> problems they are probably hitting very few people.
>
> Switching to systemd is not a small change, it's a revolutionary
> change, with the potential to break many people's boot (it has broken
> things in Fedora, and openSUSE, and it's happening in Arch Linux as
> well). So, a sensible person would wait until a sensible time to make
> the big switch (which is clearly not now).

Arch initscripts don't have "decades" of history. At most, one decade
(Arch celebrated 10 years some months ago). It was tailor made for
Arch and has been extremely streched over the years to do very good
things, but it clearly shows its age.

--
A: Because it obfuscates the reading.
Q: Why is top posting so bad?