[arch-general] SystemD poll

Anthony ''Ishpeck'' Tedjamulia archlinux at ishpeck.net
Fri Aug 24 22:01:47 EDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 04:48:01PM -0700, Patrick Murphy wrote:
> Could you give me a brief explanation as to why init scripts are better?

They really aren't.  The best argument one can make in their favor
is that they're already debugged and stable.  systemd, as a new
thing, will inevitably go thru' some growing pains.  That's to be
expected.

The problem is that systemd is a brilliant solution to the wrong
problem.  It's trying to be all things simultaneously -- which
is just way too much centralization for sanity.

The superior option is to use daemontools.  Not as PID 1 but as
the means of starting up everything after the filesystem is
mounted.  You get process supervision, startup in parallel, you
loose the unjustified delicacy of inherent in init scripts, and
you get small, compact, well-tested programs that do one thing
and one thing well.

If you had to go more modern, I suppose you could use runit in
lieu of daemontools but I'm not exactly sure how much you gain
from that.