[arch-general] SystemD poll

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:40:23 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 22.08.2012 02:48, Felipe Contreras wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 2:32 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Arch is not sensible in the conservative sense. Being conservative here
>>> means waiting for others to make the software more stable. This is not
>>> really what Arch is about. We regularly move to software that is
>>> just-about-enough stable to be used. As far as I am concerned, systemd is
>>> at
>>> that point since I was able to convert my laptop to it without any
>>> problems
>>> at all.
>>
>> So if it works for you, it will surely work for *everybody* else. I
>> have seen this argument so many times that I'm starting to worry about
>> the rationality of Arch Linux users and developers.
>
> I said "As far as I am concerned, systemd is at that point since I was able
> to convert my laptop to it without any problems at all."

In other words:

"I was able to convert my laptop to systemd without any problems"
Therefore: "systemd is stable enough to be used"

> You say I somehow
> said something along the lines of "As far as I am concerned, systemd is at
> that point since I was able to convert my laptop to it without any problems
> at all so it will surely work for *everybody* else."

You didn't say systemd is at the point where "*I* am able to use it",
you implied that systemd is at the point where it is stable enough to
be used (in general).

* "systemd is at that point"
* "We regularly move to software that is just-about-enough stable to be used."

If this is not what you intended to say, then it seems like a red herring.

Can we then agree then that you don't *know* if systemd is stable
enough to be used (in general, not only by you)?

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras