[arch-general] SystemD poll

Brandon Watkins bwat47 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 11:34:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Felipe Contreras <
felipe.contreras at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 4:23 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com>
> wrote:
> > On 22.08.2012 02:48, Felipe Contreras wrote:

> is
> >>
> >> So if it works for you, it will surely work for *everybody* else. I
> >> have seen this argument so many times that I'm starting to worry about
> >> the rationality of Arch Linux users and developers.
> >
> > I said "As far as I am concerned, systemd is at that point since I was
> able
> > to convert my laptop to it without any problems at all."
>
> In other words:
>
> "I was able to convert my laptop to systemd without any problems"
> Therefore: "systemd is stable enough to be used"
>
> > You say I somehow
> > said something along the lines of "As far as I am concerned, systemd is
> at
> > that point since I was able to convert my laptop to it without any
> problems
> > at all so it will surely work for *everybody* else."
>
> You didn't say systemd is at the point where "*I* am able to use it",
> you implied that systemd is at the point where it is stable enough to
> be used (in general).
>
> * "systemd is at that point"
> * "We regularly move to software that is just-about-enough stable to be
> used."
>
> If this is not what you intended to say, then it seems like a red herring.
>
> Can we then agree then that you don't *know* if systemd is stable
> enough to be used (in general, not only by you)?
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Felipe Contreras

Umm, the fact thats its been the default init system in several popular
distros already? Fedora 15+ , Opensuse 12.1 , Mageia 2, Mandriva 2011... I
don't know why you keep hanging onto this idea that systemd is "untested"
or "unproven", because it isn't. In fact its already been fairly well
tested on arch, plenty of arch users are using it already.