[arch-general] SystemD poll

Felipe Contreras felipe.contreras at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 12:05:20 EDT 2012

On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Brandon Watkins <bwat47 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Umm, the fact thats its been the default init system in several popular
> distros already? Fedora 15+ ,

In Fedora they didn't just went from sysv style scripts to full blown
systemd with all their features. They did it gradually in order to
minimize the potential problems. In fact, they still haven't fully
finished the conversion:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/SysVtoSystemd (60% done)

And yet they hit tons of bugs, and they still have a lot of them:

https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=advanced&order=Importance&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&component=systemd&classification=Fedora

I moved away from Fedora in part because systemd made my system not
boot 70% of the time.

> Opensuse 12.1

In OpenSUSE as well the move was supposed to happen before 12.1, but
they constantly hit issues, and they kept delaying it. And afterwards
they still have a lot of issues:

https://bugzilla.novell.com/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=&content=systemd

> don't know why you keep hanging onto this idea that systemd is "untested"
> or "unproven", because it isn't.

I never said such a thing. Can you please read what I say?

There's a difference between something being "tested" (there's
different degrees of testing, and the results, and the degrees of
certainty in the results), and something being "stable enough to be
used" (there's different degrees of certainty).

Apparently there's no choice of words that can transmit what I am
actually trying to say to you.

Cheers.

--
Felipe Contreras