[arch-general] Libreoffice Impress 3.5.6-1 - problems opening *.ppt

Lorenzo Bandieri lorenzo.bandieri at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 08:43:29 EDT 2012

Hi everyone,

Yesterday I upgraded Libreoffice from 3.5.5-1 to 3.5.6-1, and I
started to notice problems opening several *.ppt files. When I double
click on the ppt, an "ASCII Filter Options" popup appears - I never
saw this popup before. Anyway, I have to click "Ok" for Libreoffice to
start importing the presentation. The problem is that after this
operation is completed, Libreoffice doesn't show the *.ppt as usual;
instead, the window remains blank for a long time, and I have to force
quit. I tried this with several *.ppt files (at first I thought about
a corrupted file), and this happened with every one. Downgrading the
package to 3.5.5.1 solves the issue, and the files are displayed fine.
Now, I'm not sure if this 'ASCII Filter Options' thing is a feature or
a bug. Is anyone else seeing this? I didn't find anything related on
the forum.

Thanks for your time,

Lorenzo