[arch-general] lib -> usr/lib move, glibc and curl

Matthew Monaco dgbaley27 at 0x01b.net
Wed Aug 22 19:08:23 EDT 2012

On 08/22/2012 03:54 PM, Damjan wrote:
>>> pacman -Syud --ignore glibc
>>>
>>> and ended in a broken package manager. pacman is linked against libcurl,
>>> which is compiled against glibc 2.16.0 and includes versioned symbols.
>>> Luckily I had an old curl package around to temporarily fix the problem and
>>> update the system.
>>>
>>> Others may be out of luck, so... Do you think this needs some more
>>> investigation?
>>
>> This is known, and I don't think we can properly fix it, at least not
>> anymore.
>
> How about adding pacman to the default failsafe initramfs.
> That way, if anything goes wrong with a big update like this, one could finish
> it up from that initramfs.

Feel free to do that yourself. I don't want my initrd's to be rescue images as
well. And if I did, there'd be a whole bunch of other stuff I'd want too. I have
at least one system where I only allocated 32 MB for /boot (my bad, but don't
feel like fixing any time soon), and don't need the default initrd to grow. In
fact, I've never had a problem that fallback would fix and would rather not even
have it...

I'd be in favor of a "rescue" hook though that someone may optionally add.