[arch-general] Re: systemd native files in etc

Nicolas Sebrecht nsebrecht at piing.fr
Fri Aug 24 04:53:00 EDT 2012

The 24/08/12, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:

> If the files are provided in linked packages to their functionality,
> there'd be a new .pacnew everytime the linked package was updated.

I have no idea what you are talking about, sorry. Packages have
dependencies to other packages and I don't know how a package can be
linked to a "functionnality". There is no SONAME for configuration
files.

Packages ― including dependencies ― have a litteral name and a version
to know if a it needs update. As long as version dependency is not
bumped, there won't have update (see dep_vercmp() in libalpm
http://projects.archlinux.org/pacman.git/tree/lib/libalpm/deps.c#n353).

BTW, my point is what kind of upgrade can you reasonably expect for
such files, which you don't reply to.

> If the files are grouped together in a 'default-confs' package, if for
> any reason upstream changes any one of them, all the rest would
> generate a .pacnew

Which remains to my previous point: what kind of reason could require an
update for such files ?

As a side note upstream is arch maintainers, here.

--
Nicolas Sebrecht