[arch-general] systemd native files in etc

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 05:48:24 EDT 2012

On Thursday 23 Aug 2012 16:14:26 Qadri wrote:
> Is there a package that provides these /etc files, like hostname,
> vconsole.conf, locale.conf? It feels weird creating untracked files in
> /etc. Is there interest in an aur package (e.g. systemd_etc_files) that I
> could make with all the many comments and options that are essentially in
> the rc.conf (or other files)? What package will eventually provide these?

This seems like a no-brainer to me.  These files should be in the filesystem
package, along with fstab, crypttab, os-release, hosts, and all the other
essential configuration files that are already there.

These files form part of a new standard (or at least that is the intention),
and both initscripts and systemd support them.

Furthermore, although some people are talking about .pacnew files being created
all the time, this just won't happen.  Pacnew files are only created when the
files are changed between package versions, which will rarely occur: most of
these files will be empty by default, or contain some kind of brief
documentation.  The last time I remember fstab changing was when /tmp became a
tmpfs by default, and I was glad pacman brought the change to my attention.
The same is true of /etc/passwd and /etc/group (and friends).

Paul