[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] merging systemd back to a singular package

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 05:13:02 EDT 2012

On 28 August 2012 11:05, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 28, 2012 at 10:54 AM, Lukas Jirkovsky <l.jirkovsky at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm pretty sure at least Ubuntu will keep patches to make some of such
>> apps work without systemd.
>
> So far we see that whenever systemd is made optional, it is optional
> at compile-time rather than at run-time (which would have been ideal,
> and not much more difficult to code). That means our packages cannot
> support both scenarios at the same time.

That's why I'm think about maintaining such packages in community.

> As to Ubuntu, remember that they lag quite far behind our packages, so
> while they probably will produce patches, don't expect it to happen in
> time for it to help us. Notice for instance that Ubuntu supposedly
> took over consolekit, but no release has happened and without
> backporting patches from git our consolekit package would be
> completely broken.
>
> In short: avoiding systemd will be a lot of work, and you will be more
> or less alone in doing it.
>
> -t

Unless there's going to be some major rewrite of the affected packages
in the meantime I think I'll be able to handle that. During the years
I'm using OSS, I learned one thing: If no one else wants to do
something, you must do it yourself.

Lukas