[arch-general] libsystemd to systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Aug 31 05:14:23 EDT 2012

On Fri, Aug 31, 2012 at 11:04 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote:
> I don't understand "Eliminate the daemons one by one from rc.conf. Start
> with dbus, which systemd handles very well without any action from you
> at all". How can I upgrade, but keep a running system?

I believe that post was making the assumption that you switched to
systemd. If you do not wish to switch to systemd yet, then no action
is required. See [0] for some details.

> "69switch_xorg.conf" e.g. is a script that switch between 2 xorg.conf
> regarding to the kernel I boot. If I remove all "daemons" from rc.conf,
> have I then to set up systemd?

In order to use systemd (after the upgrade), either append
init=/bin/systemd to your kernel commandline or install
systemd-sysvcompat (which will conflict with sysvinit). If you do not,
then you'll stay with initscripts.

> Can I simply say "no" regarding to
>
> :: Replace libsystemd with core/systemd? [Y/n] n
> :: Replace systemd-tools with core/systemd? [Y/n] n
>
> but say yes regarding to

No, partial upgrades will not work well (as always). Though, as I
mentioned, saying "yes" does not really mean anything unless you
actively switch on systemd.

HTH,

Tom

[0]: <http://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/arch-dev-public/2012-August/023469.html>