[arch-general] rootfs remains in ro at boot on fresh install with new December ISO

LANGLOIS Olivier PIS -EXT olivier.pis.langlois at transport.alstom.com
Tue Dec 4 10:46:01 EST 2012

Dave, Tom,

Thank you very much for your explanations. With your help, I have become a little bit less clueless about systemd and Arch initramfs system.

by typing systemctl status /, the reported status was ok/mounted with some green on the output. Nothing special to report about that. I wish that I could provide the exact text but I still suck at cut & pasting without a mouse!

However I have fixed my problem and I think that I have stumbled into a systemd bug. Since I didn't want a tmpfs mounted in /tmp, I did follow directives from the Beginners guide:

systemctl mask tmp.mount

The result of that thing is:

1. rootfs is ro.

2. My disk partition for /tmp speficied in fstab isn't mounted.

If I undo the change with:

systemctl unmask tmp.mount

everything comes back all right as expected.

Not sure if it does that systematically for any fstab setup or I have been unlucky to have an extraordinary and unique fstab setup (I don't think so).

Maybe someone could try to repeat the problem. If it is, then we have found a systemd bug, if not, I can share my fstab with interested parties.

Greetings,
Olivier

> You'll want to actually provide your /etc/fstab as well as the output
> of:
>
>   systemctl status /
>
> Right after booting...
>
> > 5. Once logged, I have no problem doing "mount -o remount,rw /"
> > 6. I have removed the ro kernel parameter option in grub.cfg (BTW, why is
> this used at all? I'm a little bit ignorant about Linux booting good practices). By
> doing so rootfs still remains ro.
>
> 'ro' is the default if neither 'rw' nor 'ro' are specified. If you want your root to
> be mounted rw initially, you need to do 2 things:
>
> 1) explicitly add 'rw' to your kernel cmdline
> 2) include the fsck hook in your initramfs
>
> Otherwise, it's left up to your /etc/fstab to ensure that it's remounted
> properly.
>
> > I am suspecting either systemd or the content of the initramfs. Until now,
> those are still black boxes to me. What should I look at to resolve my rootfs
> ro problem?
>
> Strange suspicion... Without seeing it, I suspect your /etc/fstab is at fault,
> simply because I've learned better than to trust anecdotal evidnce.

CONFIDENTIALITY : This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. If you are not a named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to another person, use it for any purpose or store or copy the information in any medium.