[arch-general] Switching between Internet connections

Sudaraka Wijesinghe sudaraka.wijesinghe at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 02:32:12 EST 2012

Hello,

My laptop is connected to a LAN with Internet connection and it gets the
IP stuff (address, routing, dns) via dhcp using the default systemd
scripts on boot. I also have a 3G modem (USB) which I have created the
ppp scripts to connect based on the Wiki article
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/3G_and_GPRS_modems_with_pppd

Both connections work fine, except after switching to modem from LAN
some applications (pidgin, xchat, ect. which were running) still uses
the DNS nameserver from previous connection (LAN) meaning they still
trying to send DNS queries to LAN router (which is not reachable at that
time). This gets fixed after that application is closed and reopened.

Is this behavior normal or a bug?

Thanks.

P.S.

To disconnect/connect from LAN I either use:
> # systemctl stop dhcpcd at wlan0
> # systemctl start dhcpcd at wlan0
or
> # dhcpcd -k wlan0
> # dhcpcd wlan0

To disconnect/connect I use poff/pon commands and the scripts are setup
exactly as described on the Wiki.

--
Sudaraka Wijesinghe.