[arch-general] Diskless Booting Wiki Help

Bryan Schumaker bjschuma at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:22:57 EST 2012

On 12/11/2012 05:15 AM, Paul Gideon Dann wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm not sure who's actually in charge of oversight on the Wiki, but I'd
> appreciate a little input from anyone, really.
>
> I've recently been trying to ensure the accuracy of the wiki with regards to
> diskless booting.  I run a cluster at work, and I've spent quite some time
> looking into getting this system functioning correctly, and I wanted to make
> sure the documentation was there for others to use.

I was looking for information like this a week or two ago.  I realized I don't do any nfsroot testing before submitting patches, and I have submitted patches in the past that accidentally broke it :(.

> However, another (presumably well-intentioned) contributor has rewritten the
> original article, and seems very keen to cut back everything he doesn't agree
> with.  To be honest, I'm a bit sick of trying to convince him that all
> information is helpful, and that not everyone that reads the article will have
> his usecase.
>
> In particular, he's keen to remove all references to NFSv3 (although Arch
> doesn't currently support booting NFSv4 without his hack), and needing a
> separate /var for each node (which I've explained is necessary in many, if not
> most, situations).

This would have tripped me up.  I wouldn't have thought to only test on v3 or to make a separate /var for each client...

- Bryan