[arch-general] Mounting /var early in systemd

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 05:51:02 EST 2012

On Wednesday 12 Dec 2012 17:53:23 Tom Gundersen wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com>
wrote:
> Is syslog.socket giving you problems? Could you paste the unit file?
> On my system the socket is located at /run/systemd/journal/syslog, so
> After=-.mount is correct.

That's a very good point; probably all of these sockets will end up in /run
rather than /var (as they once did).  Maybe the issues I'm seeing after boot
are not related to sockets being masked as I assumed.  I have no idea what
else it could be, though.

I've got the unit ordered before all the sockets, but NFS is still behaving
badly (losing visibility of /home and other mounts), and it works fine if the
proper NFS /var is not mounted at all and the /var from the NFS root is used
(but then it's not using the right /var).

Any idea if systemd does something else in /var in very early boot?

Paul