[arch-general] Getting microphone sound input in google-talkplugin for google-hangouts?

Mike Cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 12:41:36 EST 2012

I have been trying to get my laptop set up using google hangouts - chrome
works fine, and I installed the google-talkplugin from AUR.

Sound is coming out from the speakers just fine ((and also on the gmail
test sound output) - and the webcam is fine.

I can use the jack audio facility to check that I can take sound input from
the microphone and play it in the speakers.

However I can't seem to get the google video chat to use input sound - and
trying a test hangout I get a warning that my microphone is not configured
correctly!

I use alsa but not pulseaudio though I read in a post on the arch forum
that installing pulse made no difference for another user who had sound
problems with this also.

I can't find any postings or wiki advice on sorting out this particular
problem.

Does anyone have any experience or tested workaround to get this sound
issue resolved?

Thanks

--
mike c