[arch-general] Old pkgbuilds need to be removed from abs tree

sitquietly forestmoonsilence at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 12:32:47 EST 2012

I've noticed that /var/abs/extra still contains kdeutils and kdeaccessibility,
with PKGBUILDs for the old 4.7.4 version.  Those have been replaced in
kde 4.8.0 with a set of packages kdeutils-* and kdeaccessibility-*

The obsolete directories should be removed from abs/extra.

I build all packages from source code on my system using my own set of
scripts.  For example a daily update is
   pacman -Qqu | order | unify | build --merge --edit --save
so I'm the guy to notice garbage in the abs tree (my scripts read the
PKGBUILDs in the abs tree and my own tree to build a database of
dependencies, including make deps, providers, splits, and package groups).

It has happened once in a while that an updated PKGBUILD doesn't show
up in abs, or is missing files, without manual intervention on someone's part.
I've filed bug reports against several such packages, which seem to mystify the
package maintainer, who then tells some other guy that there is NO problem
with his package, who apparently moves the missing stuff into abs and makes
me happy. , It also happens as with kdeutils and kdeaccessibility, that an
obsolete directory is not removed from abs.

It seems that the process for syncing the abs tree to the master repository
needs fixing.

The ABS, providing the build scripts for all packages, is a key feature of
Archlinux for me and I greatly appreciate the work required to make it
available.