[arch-general] ffmpeg and libav

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sun Feb 12 11:38:02 EST 2012

On 12 February 2012 15:45, Andrea Crotti <andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 02/12/2012 12:20 AM, Jesse Jaara wrote:
>>
>> Dunno about mplater but mplayer2 uses lubav, but is conpitable with ffmpeg
>> after config script patch (version missmach)
>

> Yes exactly, I don't know many details myself but what I'm sure about
> is that almost all the core developers switched to libav, and that's the
> most
> important thing.
>
> FFmpeg is still merging things more or less from everywhere without
> any real control of the sources, and that's why it looks it's still
> evolving, while
> on the other side things are done properly as they've always been.

I have the same impression. Most of the development seems to take
place in the libav project. If you look at the log of the ffmpeg and
libav log most of the changes arrive first in the libav and then they
are merged to ffmpeg.

The ffmpeg maintainer also seems to merge random crap (maybe some
development trees, I don't really know) without any real review - not
so long ago I saw really big merge commit in ffmpeg which broke ABI
without even mentioning it (and bumping the soname).

Lukas