[arch-general] systemd's journal and syslog-ng

Tobias Frilling tobias at frilling-online.de
Wed Feb 15 06:35:56 EST 2012

On 02/09/2012 03:29 PM, Dave Reisner wrote:
> - With the journal enabled (and it is enabled by default), you no longer
>   need to run a syslog daemon (i.e. syslog-ng or rsyslog). The journal,
>   by default, writes to /run/systemd/journal (meaning logs will poof on
>   reboot). If you want to keep your logs, simply create
>   /var/log/journal. If you really want to keep using a syslog daemon,
>   you must tell it to read from /run/systemd/journal/socket, NOT
>   /dev/log.

I know I do not longer need to run a syslog daemon, but I like my logs in human
readable form. So, being a obedient ml reader, I configured my syslog-ng to read
from said new socket
	unix-dgram("/run/systemd/journal/socket");
instead of the old /dev/log. But since then my logs are incomplete at best. So
here are my questions:

 - Why are the logs read from /run/systemd/journal/socket incomplete and how do
   I fix this?
 - Why do I even have to change the socket? /dev/log is still there and still
   works like a charm.