[arch-general] problem installing octave

Oon-Ee Ng ngoonee.talk at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 18:42:45 EST 2012

On Feb 17, 2012 7:24 AM, "Fons Adriaensen" <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:12:02AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>
> > "Run 'pacman -Syu' and try again."
> >
> > But you ignored it:
> >
> > "I've no intention to do a full system upgrade ATM"
>
> I did not ignore it, I gave some reasons why that was
> not an option at that time. And those reasons are in
> line with advice posted on this list by people who are
> supposed to know what they are talking about.

And its been explained that without versions deps (rarely used due to
maintenance headaches) updating your database with -Sy without running a
full update is not supported. pacman cannot handle that, period.

The correct way to  install packages on an out-of-date system is to NOT
update your database. You may need an out-of-date mirror or to manually
download from mirror archives.