[arch-general] problem installing octave

Leonid Isaev lisaev at umail.iu.edu
Thu Feb 16 18:41:57 EST 2012

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 23:24:28 +0000
Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 09:12:02AM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
>
> > "Run 'pacman -Syu' and try again."
> >
> > But you ignored it:
> >
> > "I've no intention to do a full system upgrade ATM"
>
> I did not ignore it, I gave some reasons why that was
> not an option at that time. And those reasons are in
> line with advice posted on this list by people who are
> supposed to know what they are talking about.

If you don't want to make a full upgrade -- you can still install/upgrade
individual pkgs, but you'll have to investigate their dependencies (using
svntogit) and install those too -- manually.

Although discouraged, the above operation is straightforward, but only if you
have good knowledge of your system and the packaging process. Your question
indicates otherwise.

--
Leonid Isaev
GnuPG key ID: 164B5A6D