[arch-general] howto build shadow 4.1.5 with share libraries enabled?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Tue Feb 21 12:40:51 EST 2012

David,

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:24 PM, David C. Rankin
<drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com> wrote:
>  I am having trouble building the new shadow (4.1.5) from ABS so that
> libshadow.so.0 is created and installed. I have tried modifying
> lib/Makefile.am like was done in 4.1.4:

I don't know much about shadow, but Dave (shadow maintainer) wrote
this the other day[0]:

"The shared lib built with shadow was a hack in the PKGBUILD that I
removed for the 4.1.5 release as the code would not get past the
linker without further changes. Packages which linked against this
phantom .so did so in error (likely due to crappy upstream
autoconf/automake decisions). shadow doesn't even provide an include
-- shadow.h is part of glibc, but doesn't even prototype the functions
which were exported in shadow.so. Furthermore, it's generally a Bad
Idea™ to be using shadow based authentication in the age of PAM."

It seems that the best solution would be to fix whatever depends on
shadow to not do so any more. I take it from one of your previous
messages that the issue is Trinity? In which case you might struggle
to make things work (as upstream is basically dead). Maybe a different
desktop environment might be the simplest solution ;-) (KDE is awesome
these days!).

Best of luck,

Tom

[0] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/28483#comment89537 (this was, by
the way, the first hit when I googled "libshadow.so").