[arch-general] /var/run should not be contained in the package file list.

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Wed Feb 22 12:33:24 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 5:52 PM, Leonid Isaev <lisaev at umail.iu.edu> wrote:
> The package-owner it 'filesystem'. But I disagree with the proposal because

I'm not really sure what you are disagreeing with...

> (1) /var/run is a symlink, not a separate FS and (2) initscripts should
> accomplish the minimum required operations and should mount only absolutely
> necessary FS (not /tmp, /media or the like).

Currently we have the following:
 * /var/run is a symlink (created on boot) to /run. This should be
changed in the future so the symlink is shipped with the filesystem
package, but we have not figured out the transtion yet.
 * /run is a tmpfs, so if packages contain files in /var/run or in
/run, they will not survive a reboot. They should use the tmpfiles
mechanisem which we added for this purpose.
 * traditionally rc.sysinit deleted the contents of /var/run,
/var/lock and /tmp on boot, we have now a simpler and cleaner
situation since /var/run and /var/lock are on tmpfs. We did not force
/tmp to be on tmpfs as it does not matter from the point of view of
early boot. /media is probably going away in the long-run anyway, but
does at any rate not have anything to do with boot, so no danger of
that being touched.

-t