[arch-general] Source control on /etc

Alfredo Palhares masterkorp at masterkorp.net
Thu Feb 23 11:56:20 EST 2012

Excerpts from Taylor Hedberg's message of Thu Feb 23 17:36:00 +0100 2012:
> But that's problematic for files in /etc, many of which require specific
> ownership or mode bits set/unset. You don't want your VCS to elide the
> fact that /etc/shadow should only be readable by root, for instance.
>
> I don't think Git will change permissions on existing files in your
> working directory, but if you ever cloned your /etc repo onto another
> machine, the permissions would be screwed up.
Yeah i agree, you should have carefull with that. I never transplant a the /etc of a machine
i only use it as detailed backup. Whenever i have another machine i create a new /etc repository
for it, copying manually the files i need because i dont even want the history back. You could
do it with git using root and those files would be owned by root, you just need to adjust the
ownerwhip like you set when you copy a file manually.
In my home repo i do that and keep a branch for each computer, but on /etc repos not just because
they often have very diferent distros and objectives.