[arch-general] Source control on /etc

Don deJuan donjuansjiz at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 14:32:25 EST 2012

On 02/23/2012 08:43 AM, Dennis Börm wrote:
> On 02/23/2012 05:36 PM, Taylor Hedberg wrote:
>> Alfredo Palhares, Thu 2012-02-23 @ 17:24:01+0100:
>>> Excerpts from Matthew Monaco's message of Thu Feb 23 17:08:46 +0100
>>> 2012:
>>> What about those ? Git doesn't care about permissions, the only
>>> permissions that git stores is the executable bit.
>>
>> But that's problematic for files in /etc, many of which require specific
>> ownership or mode bits set/unset. You don't want your VCS to elide the
>> fact that /etc/shadow should only be readable by root, for instance.
>>
>> I don't think Git will change permissions on existing files in your
>> working directory, but if you ever cloned your /etc repo onto another
>> machine, the permissions would be screwed up.
>

> Hi
>
> we're using
>
> http://joey.kitenet.net/code/etckeeper/
>
> for that purpose
>
> greets,
> Dennis
Have you had any issues?
The AUR packages for that are way out of date and probably abandoned by
the owners. From what I read it starting giving people issues when
pacman 3 came out and now that we are on 4 with even more features I
would think a bunch of work would have to be done to make work properly
for Arch.