[arch-general] /var/run should not be contained in the package file list.

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Feb 23 17:45:25 EST 2012

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 11:40 PM, Damjan <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> g:
>>  * /var/run is a symlink (created on boot) to /run. This should be
>> changed in the future so the symlink is shipped with the filesystem
>> package, but we have not figured out the transtion yet.
>
> How would that work with systemd where /run is bind mounted on /var/run
> (so it requires a /var/run directory) ?

That's not a problem.

systemd checks if /var/run is a symlink, and if so leaves it alone
(this is the preferred way of doing it).

Only if /var/run is a directory, it will by bind-mounted, giving more
or less the same result as the symlink.

Deleting /var/run and replacing it with a symlink is a bit of a
hassle, so even if you are using systemd it might be worth-while to
reboot once with initscripts so this will be done for you.

-t